You finally have your dream basement. Carpeted, completely stocked with food and drinks for the big game, outfitted with the latest electronics, a stellar home entertainment system, and that new, oversized comfy couch. Now for your nightmare:a heavy spring downpour that threatens to flood your newly remodeled basement.
This disaster and the need for expensive water damage restoration can be prevented by a small pump installed in the lowest part of your basement, otherwise known as the sump pump.
How do you know if you have a sump pump?
As surprising as it might seem, some homeowners may not be aware that they have a sump pump in their home. Luckily, it’s pretty easy to identify!
If you do have a sump pump, it will most likely be located in a small pit in the basement. While some sump pumps have covers, others do not, so that’s something to keep in mind. If it does have a cover, it should only have one pipe coming up through the lid. You can also check the pit outside of a house to see if the sump pump is there.
How do you know if you need a sump pump?
- Your basement has flooded before
- You live in a flat or low-lying area with soil that readily traps water
- You have a finished basement that contains personal items that you want to protect against water damage and mold growth
- You live in an area that experiences large quantities of rain or snow
- You already have a sump pump but it is 6 or more years old. (Sump pumps usually last up to 10 years)
When you are ready to install a sump pump to protect your property (and dream man cave), call on the experts at Plumb Right! We are highly experienced professionals who have been serving the Minneapolis area since 1988. Leave the job to our team!
Give or Minneapolis plumbers a call today if you’d like to schedule maintenance!